Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Amidst It

Oh, where to begin?
Such is the curse of maximalism - I am a purveyor of accumulating...experiences. Damn, that was rather pompous of me. Duh - most of us are.
Anyways, a new academic year has begun.
New friends, old friends - a beautiful kerfuffle of the two I have experienced so far. I'm nearing two decades of life & have never felt more confident. Let's hope this is an exponentially increasing phenomenon. Throughout this procession, here is what I have adorned myself with - my costume for the production titled 'life':

[*note: not specific outfit photos, as will become clear. But they do a pretty decent job of showcasing my outfit.]

*beauty-related tidbit: finally donned dark lipstick! Red lipstick is high maintenance but hella feelin'-sexy-inducing.
who what wear?
  • gold, shimmery shirt: $6, thrifted
  • copper metallic pleated skirt: $10, Urban Outfitters
  • tan, tie-die print wedges: $10, Ross
  • <3-worthy work-of-art vest: $10, Temple of the Modern Girl (vintage store)
  • colourful feather earrings: $3, Aldo
Look at all these hipsters I have the privilege of working with.


I'd like to share one of my favourite quotes now. Pertinent, I believe. And so damn beautiful.

♪♫ "And those who were seen dancing 
were thought insane by those who could
not hear the music." ~ Nietzsche ♪♫





*p.s. as for the whole existential crisis thing, things like this keep me sane: "Striving for Muslim Women’s Human Rights", by Gwendolyn Zoharah Simmons.
 [http://thefeministwire.com/2012/08/striving-for-muslim-womens-human-rights/]


"We feminist Muslims – as our Jewish and Christian sisters have done – are bringing this insight and information to the forefront. We are arguing that Islam is NOT a monolithic structure etched in stone for eternity. We are seeking to separate Islam the religion from culture, tradition, and the social mores of the societies in which Islam arose and took root. We are reinterpreting the sacred texts anew from a feminist perspective. We are reviewing the history of the religion and are finding and bringing to the foreground earlier interpretations of earlier sects or groups in Islam whose views were more egalitarian, but were labeled heterodox and dismissed. We Muslim feminists seek to reinterpret, reconceptualize, contextualize, and historicize Islam and our societies’ rituals and practices."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Assalam Alaykum, dear Urooba!

great! you always have good ideas.

I have good news for you: there was a parade with many different religions on the beach of Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro. It was a harmonious time, everybody together in the name of tolerance and peace!!!

Take a look at my pics, comment them, I´ll thank you a lot.
Kisses,
Denise. :)